A five-day course in the assessment of aviation English according to the ICAO language proficiency requirements.
delivered at national marine aquarium, plymouth
Monday 8th - Friday 12th july 2019
Pre-course tasks (15 hours)
Before the courses begin, each trainee is required to complete comprehensive pre-course tasks designed to introduce some of the key themes explored in the classroom. The pre-course tasks:
- Analyse the current status of implementation of the ICAO language proficiency requirements
- Familiarise participants with aviation language test development
- Present current research in aviation language assessment
- Encourage a critical review of the state-of-the-art in aviation language testing
Classroom training (27 hours)
The course is designed to explore best practice in language rating, test development and quality assurance with reference to ICAO document 9835, Manual on the Implementation of the ICAO Language Proficiency Requirements.
Classroom training is comprised of practical sessions and workshops which are designed to introduce the key concepts of assessing spoken language in the context of radiotelephony communications. The workshops:
- Introduce the key concepts in testing listening and speaking
- Review testing in the context of the ICAO Language Proficiency Requirements
- Introduce the construct of aeronautical communication
- Analyse and define the ICAO rating scale and holistic descriptors
- Apply the rating scale to speech samples of pilots and air traffic controllers from around the world
- Evaluate the usefulness of a variety of aviation English speaking test tasks
- Assess participants’ ability to rate
- Analyse participants’ rating data using standard statistical procedures in classical test theory and item response theory
- Provide individual feedback on rater reliability and severity
- Suggest ways to implement rater training and standardisation procedures
- Describe test design, development and evaluation
- Explore the relationship between speaking and listening skills and techniques for assessment, including listening test design and item writing
- Highlight the importance of quality (validity and reliability) in language testing
- Present how test quality manifests in aviation language testing practice
- Present examples of evidence of test validity and reliability that service providers might supply in the process of regulatory approval and/or ICAO recognition
|Course date (planned):||Monday 8th to Friday 12th July 2019|
|Maxmimum per group:||14 participants|
|Location:||National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth PL4 0LF|
|Duration:||5 days (27 hours) + 15 hours of pre-course tasks|
|Price:||£845 per person|
Discounts are available on group bookings. Read the terms and conditions.
TAILORED COURSES AT YOUR PREFERRED LOCATION
We provide tailored instructor training, aviation familiarisation and rater and test developer training courses of varying duration to airlines, ANSPs, regulators, ATOs, universities and language training organisations. We would be happy to provide an in-depth consultation to analyse your needs before presenting a tailored solution.
Contact email@example.com to find out more.